Period: 2014 – present (demonstration product)
Frequency: 10 days
Data can be accessed here.
Algorithm description:The algorithm is similar to GEOv2 algorithm. However, it is implemented using 300m PROBA-V data. More stringent cloud cover and zenith angle restrictions are implemented.
Accuracy: Early validation conducted over sites in Europe for 2014 yielded RMSE = 0.1, bias = 0.043.
- Validation conducted over Europe (not global)
- Product is not fully operational
- Large fraction of missing values in northern latitudes during wintertime
- Unstable variations of near real time estimates for consecutive dates, notably better after one 10-day period
- Systematic lower values than FAPAR 1km (version 1) around large areas of Europe
- Slight positive bias at the start of the season in croplands and deciduous forest
- Lower consistency with MODIS FAPAR for forest areas than FAPAR 1km product
- Positive bias for bare or harvested areas
Baret, F., Weiss, M., Verger, A. & Smets, B. ATBD for LAI, FAPAR and FCOVE from PROBA-V products at 300m resolution (GEOV3). 1–61 (ImagineS, 2016).
Camacho, F., Sánchez, J. & Latorre, C. Quality Assessment Report LAI, FAPAR, FCover Collection 300m Version 1. 1–117 (2016).
de la Madrid, L., Sanchez-Zapero, J. & Camacho, F. Scientific Quality Evaluation LAI, FAPAR, FCOVER Collection 300m Version 1. 1–93 (2018).